A licence to perform high risk work is required if workers use or operate high risk work equipment or plant. Licences are valid in every Australian state and territory, enabling workers to operate high risk equipment under consistent standards throughout Australia. On average, there are around 180 injuries and one death involving forklifts each year in Western Australia. As a result, forklift safety is a priority area for WorkSafe WA.
The operator will be trained to plan the work, conduct routine checks on the forklift, shift loads in a safe manner, and shut down and secure the equipment after the completion of operations.
Candidates will be instructed in how to:
- identify workplace hazards, and implement hazard control measures
- check the forklift truck for damage, and report defects
- carry out pre- and post-operational checks
- move loads, avoiding hazards
- respond to unplanned and unsafe situations
- secure the forklift after use.
This unit specifies the skills and knowledge required to operate a forklift truck safely in accordance with all relevant legislative requirements. Competence in this unit, does not in itself result in a HRWL licence to operate this plant.
Forklift truck means a powered industrial truck equipped with lifting media made up of a mast and an elevating load carriage to which is attached a pair of fork arms or other attachments that can be raised 900 mm or more above the ground, but does not include a pedestrian-operated truck or a pallet truck.
A person performing this work is required to hold a forklift truck High Risk Work Licence (HRWL).
This unit requires a person operating a forklift truck to:
- plan for the work/task
- prepare for the work/task
- perform work/task
- pack up
- Students must be a minimum of 18 years of age as per the requirements of the NAI Standards for Persons Performing High Risk Work
- Must be able to provide 100 points of ID
- 1 day course (experienced users)
- 2 day course (inexperienced users)
This two day course is delivered at our Welshpool and Bunbury Training Centres and on-site at clients’ workplace by arrangement.
This is a closed book assessment
On successful completion of the theory, calculations, and practical assessments; a Statement of Attainment will be issued for the unit of competency TLILIC0003 Licence to operate a forklift truck.
An application for a High Risk Work Licence (LF Forklift truck) will be sent to WorkSafe WA for processing.
Please refer to WA Skills Training Terms and Conditions available in the Student Handbook.
Please refer to WA Skills Training Cancellation Policy available in the Student Handbook.