This unit of competency covers the skills and knowledge required to test the working atmosphere, using electronic test apparatus, to find out if it is safe for the proposed work.
It applies to situations where an individual may be required to carry out gas testing of an atmosphere prior to entering a specific area or workspace. The competency requires the person to interpret readings and take actions based on the interpretation.
Working environment may be hazardous, unpredictable, subject to time pressure, chaotic and expose responders to risk, on land or water, by day or night. Workplace atmospheres may include visible and invisible hazards and hazardous surfaces.
The unit is suitable for use in the following situations:
- confined spaces
- enclosed and partially enclosed spaces
- hot work
- storage tanks, silos, pits, pipes, shafts, ducts, transport vehicles and ships
- testing as part of issuing a work permit
- monitoring as part of working under a work permit
- open areas
- holding the gas tester by hand
- lowering the gas tester into a space, e.g. on a line.
This unit of competency applies to an individual working alone or as part of a team or group and working in liaison with other shift team members and the control room operator, as appropriate.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication
- Enrolment form (download HERE)
- Copy of previous Statement of Attainment
- USI Transcript – you can download this at www.usi.gov.au
- Employer verification letter (contact us for correct letter template)
- Current and up to date resume or Position description.
- Payment form (download HERE)
- Send all documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Up to 30 days to complete
- Assessment will take 30-90 minutes depending on your comfort level with the technology and subject matter
- Online assessment
- Certification can be expected within 3-5 business days of successful completion of assessment.
- Certification can be fast tracked if you require your Statement of Attainment quickly (See express and same day processing details on your enrolment and payment forms)
- Wallet cards will be posted to your nominated postal addressPayment to be made in full at time of application
Payment to be made in full at time of application
- Cancellations made before actual enrolment will be entitled to refund minus $45 administration fee
- Cancellations made after enrolment will not be refunded